Letter of Support

June 8, 2009

Deval Patrick
Massachusetts State House
Office of the Governor
Room 280
Boston, MA 02133

Dear Governor Patrick:

I write seeking commutation for Joe Labriola whose recent request to have his sentence commuted was denied within the past two months.

Mr. Labriola, as information on his website www.freejoelab.com strongly suggests, has been incarcerated for 30 years for a crime he did not commit. Whether one is disposed to accepting his plea of innocence as I am and believes as others associated with the case, including the presiding judge who said at the time that there was "no evidence of any kind" to support a guilty verdict, believe that a grave injustice was done to Joe, or you choose to accept the finding of the court back then, is frankly irrelevant at this point. Joe has been in jail for over three decades and is dying, a result of having contracted C.O.P.D. some time ago. He asks only to be released so that he can receive medical care that will mitigate some of the symptoms of this pernicious disease and allow him some measure of peace during his last days of life. A war hero who served his country with distinction as a Marine, Joe deserves to die with dignity in the presence of loved ones and people who have stood by him for all these years.

I have come to know Mr. Labriola a little the last couple of years and have been impressed by his personal story. I am writing with no greater interest in mind than to provide this man with some relief and to allow him to walk among the free men in whose service he dedicated himself so many years ago.

Sincerely,

Daniel J. Monti, Jr., Ph.D.

Boston University

Department of Sociology
96-100 Cummington Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02215